LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend
Goto page Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - Previous  Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - 1, Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Events
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Wild Phil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So, how did you find it?

Were you looked after on the day? Was it clear when things were happening? Did you check out the other things going on?

And how about the track itself?

We are starting to make plans for BLITZ next year, and are looking at various venues. We may or may not have a roller marathon next year depending on whether we go back to cyclopark.

If we were not to go back to Cyclopark, do you think it would be worth having a marathon on it's own there? Would it be popular or is the track too demanding?

Feel free to be brutal with feedback, we are all learning as we go and want to strive to improve and make it better for next time.

Phil.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:24 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil - just a few thoughts jotted quickly to help you give you some idea of what I'm thinking.  It could be easier to talk face to face about it if you want any further info.

* Overall, pretty much everything worked well.  It helped that there were a small number of entrants, but if this was to scale up, I can see that there would be some problems (see below)
* As a pre-registrant, signing in on the day was fine, and were told want we needed to do.  It would have been useful to have some pre-printed instructions included in the pack.  I guess if things were being  organised on the fly (especially with the rescheduling that you had to do), then I can understand why you wouldn't have had this
* The mapping of timing chips to skater were done whilst handing out to skaters.  This worked fine as we were a small group, but I could see this being very lengthy if numbers were high
* No race numbers.  Again not an issue given the number of skaters, but it would prove useful on a larger scale, especially when trying to keep track of skaters
* The course was very smooth and quite technical (the turns) - both good things!  It is hilly, and I think this is perfectly suitable for intermediate to advance skaters.  I would not say it's suitable for beginners, or at least not to have both on at the same time, purely because those taking the racing line could clash with those not experienced with "racing".  The fact you had two separate races at different time catered for this well.
* I came along on the Sunday and Monday.  I enjoyed watching the other events, but that's more because I like that sort of thing.
* It would have been useful to have had more info on the website, e.g.  track availability.  I came along on the Sunday, hoping to test out the track, only to find out that I had to wait until the last event before I could do so.  Again, I know you were busy with rescheduling and stuff like that, so probaby one of the last things on your mind.
* As for a marathon on it's own.  It's always good to have additional events in the calendar.  Depending on who you want to target, would determine whether to have it at Cyclopark.  For years, I've always seen Goodwood as the all inclusive event whereby speedskaters are the minority, whereas LIM is for those who want to challenge themselves more and speedskaters are the majority.

Whilst you might not need me to say it again, I thoroughly enjoyed the days that I was there, and to manage something of that scale must have been difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - Previous  Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - 1, Blitz Festival Roller Marathon 26/08/2013 Gravesend - 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: