LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

125mm wheels on AliExpress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Commercial
Previous topic :: Next topic  
blake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:22 pm    Subject: 125mm wheels on AliExpress Reply with quote

I got my new kit yesterday, tried it out at Emirates, darn, they feel good.  I expected it to take maybe a few sessions to get used to - instead after 15 minutes I was belting through figure-eight crossover drills, they felt better than on my old kit; same with slaloms and hill climbs on the ramp there.

From AliExpress the frames and wheels, as on the full rig below, cost 85 including postage.  They arrived quicker than the four weeks promised, and there was no duty (some chicanery their end probably).  Knock-offs? - possibly but they're awfully good ones if they are.  

Here's the rig:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-Powerslide-C6-skating-shoes-carbon-fiber-skate-shoes-with-FIGHTER-3X125-super-strength-bracket-wheels/1711376320.html
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:10 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Blake Smile  Good to hear about more skaters giving 125mm a go - getting started on some early LIM preparation? Wink
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I cannot comment on the boots - these might be Powerslide, they might be knock-offs, I guess you'll find out if they work for you, and how good the workmanship is.

I do have the frames/wheels/bearings, though.

The frames are fakes, Luigino do not sell 3x125 frames last time I checked, they have been scaled up from their 3x110. IMHO they are rather short (albeit not as short as the Megacruiser ones which are aimed as Rec skaters), but seemed to work well. No idea how solid they are, or how they'll hold up to regular use/abuse

The wheels are re-branded scooter wheels, ways too soft for speed skating, and thus rather hard work to push and wearing much quicker than they should. Good grip in the half-wet, though, I have to admit. But you might want to invest in proper wheels.

Bearings - mine claimed to be Twincam ILQ-11, according to the labeling. No, that's not something that exists. Some of the feedback claimed they were ceramics - again, not mine. What I got were some re-branded random, cheap, greased ABEC 3s or something like that. Your mileage might vary!
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 am    Subject: Reply with quote

oh, and interested to hear how you're getting on with the material!
WJCIV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

There are two main concerns with buying counterfeit products:

1. The "real" manufacturers are pouring R&D money into making their products. Especially in such a small sport there is a worry that if they don't reap the rewards they could stop producing new stuff or even fold under entirely. This is a bit of an economic philosophical argument, so I only want to mention it so you think about it and draw your own conclusions.

2. Material deficiencies. That frame is stamped at 7075 Aluminium. I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't, but I have no idea what aluminium they actually use. If I were you I would check the mounting area for cracks regularly. Just look at the metal around the mounting bolts for stress fractures. This won't take more than 10-15 seconds every outing. If you don't see any cracks skate as normal. If there are cracks you may want to consider switching to another frame ASAP. Cheaper aluminium also has a greater propensity to bend after crashes, and even if you bend it back straight it will not be the same performance or safety as before the crash.

In short, use these frames all you want, but check them for cracks more than you would a more reputable frame. They might need replacement sooner.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:35 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Good insight on the production quality, Will. If anyone can validate their robustness, it'll be Markus!
blake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:34 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

A bit quick on the draw there to state that they're counterfeit.  I assumed that the low price arose from differential pricing and release policy, which the internet is making obsolete.  

It's strange that anyone would put this much effort counterfeiting into such a small market.

The quality seems excellent to my untutored eye, though others seem to be able to tell what kind of aluminium is involved.

If everything disintegrates whilst I'm skating I'll have the time in hospital to ponder whether it's divine retribution for my moral shortcomings such as exist.

Regardless of where they came from, a big point in posting was my surprise that the 3x125 were so easy to switch to. I went to Emirates again on Sunday - they're really, really nice to skate on.
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

you're right, I simply made the assumption that they are fake because these are not available anywhere except very cheaply through a Chinese website (I bought mine in August), so maybe Atom/Luigino will indeed announce their 125mm frames for the next season soon.

Either way, good to hear that you're finding them easy to control, despite the step up in deck height! Personally I find that I'm still not as 'natural' on them as I was on 110s, I suspect this will take some time (and hard word) for me...
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:33 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

blake wrote:
It's strange that anyone would put this much effort counterfeiting into such a small market.

You'd be surprised!  I've heard of counterfeit Simmons skates, and also Matter wheels!  I've also seen carbon copy FSKs, minus the Salomon branding.

I guess the point that Will is trying to make is not to assume the same level of trust that you would if bought direct from a reputable / reliable retailer, and whilst you should always perform maintenance checks on your skate equipment, take extra care if you can't guarantee quality.
blake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with everyone, you can't really trust the distribution, that's why I was telling everyone, the result was much better than I expected.  If I find different when using them, I'll let everyone know.
Greg Conti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:49 pm    Subject: Long frames, low boots... so many questions Reply with quote

These frames are the longest 3x125s around at 13.2"  Surely this is what one wants for marathons? I've only experienced an increase in stride length and stability with longer frames and can't report any drawback.  Marcus, are they stiff?  How about the deck height. Is it excessive?   The guaranteed stiff frames would be CadoMotus with that lovely hollow rail 'dualbox' but they are (1) very 'spensive  and (2) only 12.8" .  Would the greater stiffness compensate for the length shortfall?
Where can I buy Matter one20five wheels for least?  Netherlands? Germany? Do LSS have an inside line for kit?
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:51 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg. Generally speaking, the longer the frame, the more strength you'd need to be able to push it effectively.
It will also be harder to control and manoeuvre where you might struggle to apply a good technical stride, which will manifest itself more when cornering than on straights.

As for wheels, the club has a good deal with RollX, which would make a good value for money training wheel.
If you want race wheels, then Powerslide is currently the way to go, though Bont/MPC seem to be on the verge of being commercially available.
For the former, David might be able to source them for you at a reasonable price, but they are far from cheap Sad
Greg Conti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:03 pm    Subject: Luigino not! Reply with quote

Received some of these frames yesterday. Manufacturing looks flawless, everything about the machining looks absolutely perfect, consistent, symmetrical etc. Just one problem. They measure exactly 300mm axle centre to centre. Funny since the nice laser etching says 13.2" !!![/img]
Greg Conti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of the RollX Xdual ?  Good enough for Berlin?
I'm struggling to accept the outlay for Matter wheels and there are few options in 125
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:08 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Me!
http://www.londonspeedskaters.com/forums/--p77510.php#77510
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Commercial All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: