LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defy-ant (C2W content.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  
peterc
Ice God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Subject: Defy-ant (C2W content.) Reply with quote

Finally decided what to get on the compny cycle to work scheme, having a soft spot for Giant, and wanting 'guards and a rack I went for a Defy.

Is it stupid to pay the extra for the 105 equiped "1" and get another pants rear wheel for winter commuting? (I have a front wheel with a hub dynamo)

I hope not, 'cos that is what I did.

As for the C2W "experiance" I'm not too impressed, you have to buy a bike on line, and as the company sudgested, walking into my LBS and asking them to take the time to show a bike you have no intention of buying there is just wrong.

That said I did spend a ton and a bit on clothes and Park stuff.
Barrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:44 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, none of my local "independant" LBS gave me a service worth paying for, being either extremely unreliable, ignoring what I was telling them, and/or giving bad information.

It's not really a problem with CycleScheme though, your indie LBS probably takes the CycleScheme vouchers, it's just a general problem with internet shops being cheaper, regardless of what you're buying, Dixons et al have the same problem.

The one big bad thing is the significant cut that CycleScheme take - it's no coincidence that Halfords and Evans run their own schemes.  From what I gleened, it was this that made it hard for the LBS to compete as they can't discount as the vouchers already cost them 10% or something like that ( and likewise why Ribble charge an additional "admin" fee ).

On the other hand Ribble don't understand the concept of customer service.  At all.  Nor stock control, nor that a "free" upgrade ( that wasn't even free ) doesn't cost them their retail price difference, nor the plain simple truth even when the events and maths are laid out in front of them.

Hint, do not plead poverty and insist that I should be gratefull over a profitless sale due to a "100" "free" upgrade when the cost of the upgrade ( due to their own errors ) can be calculated and estimated to be within a few pounds of 45 maximum, of which I'd paid 30.  30 != "free", 100 != 15, 15 IS a small cost for remedying selling my frame/bike to someone else, twice, thus running out of frame stock, twice, thus delaying my build considerably.  "It's never happened before" - uh-huh...
peterc
Ice God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:14 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

More that the company suggests you should go to your or a lbs to try the bike and then by through them, and day it without a trace of guilt.
Barrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/ doesn't work like that, they don't sell the bikes themselves, just provide a voucher to take to the shops ( but no Halfords, Evans, (or more annoyingly) Wiggle, etc. ), thus sort've, almost supporting the LBSs ( apart from the uncomfortably large cut that they take... ).

As my LBSs managed to put me off supporting them, I didn't feel much guilt I've gotta say...

Giant ( TCR I think? ) made my initial shortlist of 3, but just didn't seem to fit me right, and IIRC was the heaviest of the bunch ( insignificant in practise I'm sure ).  Then after hours of comparing and visiting etc., I went and bought something else anyway... ( which just needs a summery wheel upgrade excuse to hit the nail on the head methinks... ).
peterc
Ice God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

And they just called me to say no Defy 1s till March. So I'm of and looking again, thinking of telling them where to go and rolling down the lbs.
peterc
Ice God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know about a brand Forme? The seem to do carbon forks,105 kit and mud guard drillings. So similar.
Howard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

FWIW 5700 105 is noice. No idea about Forme; seemed to be owned by a distributor so assume they are re-branding OEM kit. Fair enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: