LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diepenbeek/Belgium 6h race - 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Events
Previous topic :: Next topic  
George

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 pm    Subject: Diepenbeek/Belgium 6h race - 2014 Reply with quote

Andy (Greaser) and I have decided to enter the duo category for this race again.  It's around the end of August - Andy will provide more details.

Is anyone else interested in doing this race?  If you have any questions, feel free to get in contact with me - I think I have done this four times now, so should be able to answer most questions.  
Very Happy

Attendance List:

Andy
    George
    Rick

Last edited by George on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:08 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. It's the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday weekend so I could make a nice trip out of it. Tempting. Not as a serious race for me as I am in temporary retirement but it would be nice to skate either as another duo or as part of a team. Might even be tempted to solo it again, just for the exercise. Will probably register on the day unless others want to form a team.
George

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick - that would be awesome if you make it.

My current plan is to travel to Amsterdam on the day before the race, stay with Andy, and then drive down to Belgium the next morning.  Last year, we picked up Peter van den Broeck on the way - might be the same this year. He might be interested in doing a duo with you.

I was then going to fly back to the UK on the day after the race.

I am flexible though if you were interested in driving down from the UK.

G
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted…if you could only do this or the Paris one, which would you choose?
George

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ed! wrote:
I am tempted…if you could only do this or the Paris one, which would you choose?

In that case I would go for Paris, because:

the caliber of skaters is higher
the density of skaters on the track is higher
on average the surface is a bit better in Paris
the pace is faster
the Paris race is easier to get to (you basically need Eurostar and a metro ticket)
George

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

by the way, Richard Holgate has also done both the Belgium and the Paris races - so he may also be able to share his view on your question.   Very Happy
Gibran
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider doing these events much like a cycling team? We registered separately, but skate as a pack to lead you out and keep you fresh for the majority of the time so u can push for the finish to win.
George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Gibran wrote:
Would you consider doing these events much like a cycling team? We registered separately, but skate as a pack to lead you out and keep you fresh for the majority of the time so u can push for the finish to win.

I am not sure who you were meaning to address with the idea Very Happy

This has been done by some teams, for example with a Belgian female skater, Hilde, who won the female solos at Le Mans, whilst having a team of 10 skaters who registered purely for her to draft them around the track.  I think she ended up with 124 laps that year.

For the Belgium race, it's probably not worthwhile because the competition is not that great.

Regarding the Paris race, the winner of the 6h Paris solo was Louis Bankowsky.  He skated with Richard and I for the entire race in 2013 (we did the duo) - and in the 2nd half was more or less always behind us.  He managed to produce 180km over 6 hours - which he has since repeated on several other 6h races on the continent.  This guy would be tough to beat in any measure!  He is also doing the Le Mans Solo this year.

So the idea is certainly good, though I am not sure what difference it would make in the final overall standings.
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:04 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Okay, definately coming now and staying on in Europe until the following weekend and doing the Rhine on Skates again as this time I am promised a dry one  Wink

Therefore I can't drive a crowd over and back as I'll be biking it over and riding down to Frankfurt for the TNS afterward.
George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Okay, definately coming now and staying on in Europe until the following weekend and doing the Rhine on Skates again as this time I am promised a dry one  Wink

Therefore I can't drive a crowd over and back as I'll be biking it over and riding down to Frankfurt for the TNS afterward.

Cool!!
George

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

There's a rumor that the race has been cancelled for 2014 - Greazer can confirm this - Greazer?
greazer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Diepenbeek (6h of Roll-on) is off... It's on their website:

http://www.roll-on.be

See August 24 Sad next one is 2015.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Booked my holiday time too. Oh well, I haven't booked any accommodation for travel so I have a week to find something to do. Might go to Zurich for their Monday night skate then Frankfurt for TNS then maybe Rotterdam for the last Wednesday then I have a couple of days spare before I need to be in Ruedesheim for the Rhein on Skates. I don't think Duesseldorf skate on Thursdays any more but perhaps I should be "tapering" before doing 137km on the Saturday Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: