LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS / HRM Devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Barrie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:48 am    Subject: GPS / HRM Devices Reply with quote

Thought it might be an idea to see what everyone has and what they think, I was finding it hard to work out what actual usable features the Garmin's had on  them ( e.g. are those targetted at running, and good for cycling/skating ).
I was tempted to spam Ed for some feedback on those that he's tried, but in the end decided to just go for this anyway :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XII6YS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems good based on one training sesh... though it lost my HR briefly.
It's watch sized ( OK, somewhat thicker at 15mm ), and really light.
The strap is quite rigidly shaped, and anyone chunkier of wrist might want to try before they buy.

FWIW My old Decathlon one has started having comms problems talking to the PC, I suspect it's just the lead or connector, but it's not made any more and  2months out of it's 2yr warrenty... Geonaute won't give me a straight answer on whether or not I can get a replacement lead.  Decathlon didn't have anything similar when I was looking, but about 2days after I ordered the above, they released a load of new GPS/HRM devices, using a different lead, which looks suspiciously the same as the one for my new device...
Aside from the lead issue, and it being handy to be comfortable with Franglais, it was really good...
EdP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I've got a basic £30 Polar one which works brilliantly. All I ever really want to know is the time I've been exercising for and my current heart rate.

I recently invested in a strapless, £150 Mio Alpha - not having a strap means that I wear it much more frequently, especially during rides to work. It also talks to my phone via BT. That said it isn’t very reliable (especially given the cost) – it probably drops out for about two minutes in every hour on average.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Garmin 305 and 405, which I've used as a rather expensive means of working out where I am in point to point marathon race!

With skating in mind, the 305 had rubbish button placement where I'd accidentally press the stop button halfway through a race!  The 405 is definitely an improvement, but not fool proof.

Only recently have I been using it to track my HR, and even then, the Garmin's not the best of that as the technology doesn't work so well for skating with arms behind your back.

Given that I am paying more attention to my training, I've "invested" in one of these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k305/a72061/rcx5-tour-de-france-premium-edition.html?lg=en&country=226&cr=GBP

Generally speaking, the features that I like to have are:
- GPS
- Battery needs to last a training session / race
- HR monitoring, especially when hands are behind your back
- Auto lap timing / count (for Tatem training)
- Configurable display screen - show the information that I want to see
- Adjustable GPS recording intevals

I've probably gone overkill on what I've ordered, but if I use it on a regular basis (I'm currently exercising at least 6 times a week, with more than one "session" a day on most days), I think I can justify the cost Smile
That's what I keep telling myself, anyway!
Flemming

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

That polar looks interesting. Would definitely be interested in hearing how you get on.

PS: Do love the statement: "Race Pace helps you cross the finish line in time".
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

First test of the watch today…

General thoughts:
+ Display options, especially for HRM, are great.  For example, I can view how much time I'm spending in the current zone
- Does not auto-lap on position, unlike my Garmin, which was very handy for taking laps down at Tatem
+ "Heart Touch" function that allows you to tap the watch to the HRM and activate a function.  I used it to take a lap count, rather than pressing the button on the watch.  Worked quite well…when I remembered to tap it.
- It's a bit of a faff to export data (GPS and HR activity) onto Strava - something I use quite a lot.
+ I can wear it all the time, not just for training.  I wouldn't bother doing this with my Garmin as it's quite chunky, plus I need to be wary of the battery.

I need to have a proper look at the GPX files as the distance measured on Polar's training software compared to when I uploaded it to Strava differed.

Generally speaking, I'm happy with it.  There may be cheaper options out there, including within the Polar range, but the watch also looks pretty cool, and something I'd wear all the time.

Chris has the Garmin 310XT, which looks like a good and cheaper alternative.  Battery life with GPS of around 20 hours, presumably has configurable screens, and a big plus for me is the vibrate alert option given my level of hearing.
So anyone considering a HRM, should consider that too.

Data:

1st Endurance set - 2*31 sec + 3 * 27 sec
- https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=2ef7aa4b015ada8c732b91bfc27891c0

2nd Endurance set - 31-32 second laps, increase in pace in the last 5 mins, 2 lap sprint after 20 mins
- https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=11c5c0b0a993d5452275ed18cef04a49

3rd Endurance set - 31/32 second laps, increase in pace to 28-30 second laps, increase pace to 26-28 second laps, 2 lap sprint after 25 mins
- https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=3eb26042b2308a30b41d369a93fc5eba
Van

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Have been faithfully served by the Garmin Forerunner 110 for the last 3 years. I don't really do anything fancy with it, just track route, speed and heart rate.

Garmin is possibly a little pricey compared to other brands, but its really such a great piece of it, so can't really fault it.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 am    Subject: Reply with quote

And an excellent review on a number of HRM devices from Mr Vano:

http://enduranceskating.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/heart-rate-monitoring-the-beat-is-on/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: