LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indoor - interest in going forward?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Training Sessions
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Glenn
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm    Subject: Indoor - interest in going forward? Reply with quote

Our current quarter booking at Battersea Sports Centre has to come to an end and the club needs to make a decision as to whether to continue to book the hall.

The background being that on the one hand: indoor can be great fun and is one of the fastest ways to improve technically; but on the other hand the club actually lost quite a lot of money as the amount received from members from the hall hire charge did not cover the cost of hiring out the hall. This was clearly more of a problem as we started heading into prep for Le Mans - when numbers dropped significantly.

It would be good to see what people thought of the sessions; whether there is interest post Le Mans (and British Champs) and on ideas on how to better balance the books if we continue the sessions.

The other thing to consider is that it is not easy to get an indoor wooden floor facility in central London - this is the first time I can remember the club securing one (thanks Chris ...).

If you could feedback sooner, rather than later that would be appreciated - as we will need to let the centre know - and it's likely that another sport will book the slot.

G
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

greatly enjoyed the indoors stuff, and it's great for technique and control, but on the other hand I'm missing my Saturday training on the bike...
If we continue then I'll happily keep coming - I guess a key factor is the funding if the sessions get small, and how hard it might be to find a venue and slot for the winter if we stop inbetween
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Le Mans and better weather has drawn people away from indoor - or it has in my case.

I think there is still a core group that are attending, and as people have highlighted, it's great for improving technique, and if we want to maintain access over the winter, we should try keep the bookings going.

Would people be willing to pay 8-10 per session, which can be reviewed on a monthly basis? This would also be on the basis that sessions are scaled back down to 90mins.
Van

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely to attend over the summer - I'm more interested when it's off-season/technique focussed.
RioC
British Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, thank you for coordinating the indoor session.  Rio too has enjoyed the session very much.  At the indoors, he has benefited hugely from the technical aspects, off skate training, and discussions about equipment, diet, individual training etc. Recently it has become difficult to fully commit to all the sessions and sadly we have not attended one for a  while due to other commitments.  His school has now requested him to join a Young Leaders BTEC course which will commence in September and I believe it will run for 9 weeks on Saturdays. As Rio really enjoys taking part in races, we are keen to ensure he attends as many sessions where he can practice racing skills/tactics/strategies, including endurance and of course technique and control, on some occasion in race-like conditions.  We have been very fortunate to have the Essex team among others who race and this has also encouraged him to prepare for the next year races.  It may be an idea to speak with the Essex team to see if the sessions in Battersea would be of interest to them. 8 -10 a session would be Okay.
Glenn
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ed! wrote:
Le Mans and better weather has drawn people away from indoor - or it has in my case.

I think there is still a core group that are attending, and as people have highlighted, it's great for improving technique, and if we want to maintain access over the winter, we should try keep the bookings going.

Would people be willing to pay 8-10 per session, which can be reviewed on a monthly basis? This would also be on the basis that sessions are scaled back down to 90mins.

Thanks Jerome.

Ed, I am ok with the 8-10 - but if it were scaled back to 1.30 - feel it would be better to start on-skates pretty much straight away.
JennyLenz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07 am    Subject: Indoors Reply with quote

Glenn, thanks a lot for having organised these sessions!
Greatly enjoyed them and definitely felt a solid improvement, however i am also aware of the amount of money the hall charges (40 an hour or has it gone up since?) means we need at least 10 people to make it worthwhile really. Cant see this happening in summer, but do believe interest will go up again post race-season.

I'd be happy to pay a higher amount in winter but will not be attending at that cost in summer as i need to focus on different things atm. Generally speaking i will hardly be attending any sessions between now and mid-august as i'll be travelling a lot and won't spend a single full weekend in london before LIM.

Jenny
Flojo Mojo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, thank you.

I will attend in the winter. I feel indoors are impt even if you dont race & just want to maintain/improve your technique. Given the unpredictable weather in London, an indoor venue is useful. I am willing to pay the stated cost.

Is it possible to offer the centre a sweep/mop/clean entire court service in exchange for either short notice cancellation, more time on the court or booking discount? Just a thought? They can only say no or think you crazy..

See you soon Smile
Florian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:21 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

I've been enjoying the indoor training sessions as really great to learn fast how to improve my technique. I would be happy paying more given the cost of the venue hire and the quality of the sessions.

The barrier for me is being able to be free all Saturday mornings. I can commit off-season but I find it harder during summer.

Just checking, would it be possible to run the session less regularly instead of cancelling them all (i.e. once a month or once every 2/3 weeks)? It could be a potential solution to manage to attract more skaters at once, reduce the cost and keep skating indoors even during the good season?

Cheers,

Florian
Joe_P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:38 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I'm enthusiastic to continue and fine with the cash. Would keep it at 2 hours and current format personally, it's quite a distance for me to travel and more is better. Suppose a lot depends on Fred and/or Josh.

Also I will be away for about five weekends between now and Berlin.

J
Glenn
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:03 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your feedback.

In view of the feedback and balancing against the desire to keep the booking; balance the books; and maintain progress,  we have decided to continue the sessions in Q3, reduce to 90 minutes, but not run every single Sunday.

Details of sessions which we have booked are per the attached post.

http://www.londonspeedskaters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=77058#77058

Thanks again,

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Training Sessions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: