LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Road pedal advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Cherry1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 pm    Subject: Road pedal advice needed Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was wondering what clipless pedals you guys are using?

I'm using Time at the moment but they have given me a sore knee and hip. I've had my cleats adjusted so it's not as bad as it was but I think I need to change pedals. I have been recommended Look and speedplay but I'm not really sure what to look for... It would be nice to be able to clip in and out easier, have more float but also feel nice and secure when pedaling.

So any ideas?
Mikey-two-Names
LSST Coach

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:24 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I'm a look fan myself, with the 9 degree cleats that gives me plenty of float.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 am    Subject: Reply with quote

After sticking religiously for years with Shimano SPD's and cross shoes (as they satisfied multiple needs across multiple cycling formats) I finally took the plunge to SPD-SL and some shiny road shoes Shocked

To be honest I find the 6 degree float on the Yellow cleats, too much for me (sometimes feels more movement than my SPD's!) and am about to try the zero float Reds. Don't know how that will work out, but from my point of view generally the SPD-SL format offers a stable platform for a very reasonable budget (critical when you want to apply to several bikes!)

Certainly if you get chance, give them a try but if the float is major factor then Mike's whopping 9 degrees seems to fit the bill.

Or of course do a Big, get some flats with 360 degrees Laughing
dan_b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:12 am    Subject: Reply with quote

If you choose Look you also need to decide between Delta (the older system) and Keo (the newer one).   I think there are more third-parties producing Delta-compatible stuff but it's effectively unsupported by Look themselves any longer, and Keo is probably lighter

Do you ride mostly short trips or longer ones?  Double-sided systems (like SPD) are much easier to clip in and out of if you're stopping for lights every 100 metres
peterc
Ice God

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I've had Look deltas (zero float) and now SPDs with a more road like "touring" shoes one single sided non flat and one double sided on the 'bent.

Not popped out of the SPDs yet, and if you feel unconnected up the tension.

The deltas are solid, postive and loud when you come out, but don't try and walk on a wet marble floor in them. Hence my move to SPDs.
roger

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:42 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I have had Speedplay pedals for the last couple of years, and been pretty happy with them.  They have lots of float - which was why I got them,  and they are double sided, but against that they are rubbish to walk on, and they are expensive.

I have not tried Look so unfortunately I can't offer any comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: