LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott S30 or GT Series 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  

What £850 Road Bike Should I get?
Scott S30
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
GT Series 3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other ( please state )
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Subject: Scott S30 or GT Series 3? Reply with quote

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s30-double-2011-road-bike-ec025501?query=Scott%20S30

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/gtr-series-3-2011-road-bike-ec024770?query=GT%20Series%203

Felt F85 that I wanted to take a punt on seems unobtainable ( and the z85 ). †All other 105 spec'd machines seem to be £1200+

GT seems a bit heavy, and funny gearing ( looks like a standard double not a compact? ), and sucky colours...

"Other" options might be tricky depending on what my cyclescheme LBS can get...
Sparky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

You could build up a nice Ribble with a 105 GS for that £££.
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:04 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm tied in now, though I am checking...
Not sure why I didn't check there before...

They do charge a sneaky £65 admin charge though ( a bit odd actually as I think cyclescheme charge 10% or something like that... ), and delivery...

Bumps up their 2nd frame to £960+ with 105....
Any guesses how good their bottom alu frame/tubeset is?
Howard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Have ridden any of these bikes?

Which one did you like the most?

Buy that one.
Howard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:

Bumps up their 2nd frame to £960+ with 105....
Any guesses how good their bottom alu frame/tubeset is?

No idea. If forced down the Ribble path though, save yourself £70 and go for Apex rather than 105. Also weird they don't seem to allow 10 speed Tiagra.
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:15 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Nope. †Never have the right model in the right size ( mostly the szie below ), and a test ride doesn't tell me how I'd feel after a few weeks anyway ( or at least hasn't for my last two bikes ), as I don't know what I'm looking for anyway ( i.e. it's different to my current bike, I struggle to tell if those differences are good or bad ).

I suppose I'm more wanting to try to avoid any spec no-noes that I might overlook ( or at least to be aware of ).

I can apparently just use the voucher in any shop ( which nicely defeats half the effort cyclescheme put you through to get the voucher... ), so that does open up Trek as well... ( previously I shortlisted Felt, Trek and the Scott ), so worth popping in Evans and seeing what they've got in the right size...

[edit]yeah I did look for the 10spd tiagra too[/edit]
Howard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Cannondale CAAD8 105 worth trying if you can stretch to it.
Christophe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 pm    Subject: Re: Scott S30 or GT Series 3? Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s30-double-2011-road-bike-ec025501?query=Scott%20S30

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/gtr-series-3-2011-road-bike-ec024770?query=GT%20Series%203

Felt F85 that I wanted to take a punt on seems unobtainable ( and the z85 ). †All other 105 spec'd machines seem to be £1200+

GT seems a bit heavy, and funny gearing ( looks like a standard double not a compact? ), and sucky colours...

"Other" options might be tricky depending on what my cyclescheme LBS can get...

What for it's worth,I have got the 2006 vintage GT R Series 3 (bought in 2007) and it's a bit on the heavy side (probably somewhere between 10 and 11 kg) but overall I rather like it.
Mine's got the Ultegra rather than Tiagra rear mech. Also came with a nice FSA stem.
I cannot comment on how it compares to other road bikes as this was my first one. An upgrade is always tempting but now is not the time...
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

If you mean their Ribble Audax/Winter 7005 Frame, then that was my first road bike, bought via Andy.  
I had no issues with it and it served me well.  It had holes (mounting points) in all the right places and reviews across the forums is that it's a very reliable and robust frame.

Unless you get fitted for a bike, then getting one off the peg will nearly always mean you'll need to tinker with it to get it feeling 100% right.

If it's components you're more concerned about, I think at the price bracket you're looking to spend at, then the options look reasonable.  Have a read of Will's thread about bikes and the feedback he got about components.
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:38 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably keep my hybrid as a winter/lock-in-public-places bike, so I'm looking at the alloy road bikes up to the ultralight.

Other than weight, not sure about the pros and cons between the ultralight and 7005SL... ( or for that matter, a blue 7005 incase I come across Adrian in a beat-anything-white mood Laughing )
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:48 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
Other than weight, not sure about the pros and cons between the ultralight and 7005SL... ( or for that matter, a blue 7005 incase I come across Adrian in a beat-anything-white mood Laughing )

I don't think there are any, other than weight and colour.
Barrie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

His Ben-ness said something along the lines that the frame geometries mean that the ultra-light would be more agile.

Well, he said a lot more than that, most of which went straight over my head... "more agile" is my two word summary...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: