LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoes and Pedals?
Goto page Shoes and Pedals? - Previous  Shoes and Pedals? - 1, 2, Shoes and Pedals? - 3  Shoes and Pedals? - Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  
sol
Child Protection Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:

Speedplay frog peddles seem a bit too pricey for me at the moment Sad ( 75 buy now on ebay... ).

Yeabut Speedplays come with cleats. Well mine did. You'll find that if you were to buy SPD pedals and cleats separately they probably won't be that much cheaper
Can you tell I'm another Speedplay fan? Wink
BigSteev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm allowed to contribute to clipless pedal discussions now Smile

First up - I've got a pair of unused Crank Bros Candy pedals (with cleats) sitting around doing nothing if you're interested.

I've been using M520s on the road bike since the Whitstable ride, mainly 'cos I've not got round to swapping back to the flat pedals. I've got some Time DH MTB shoes chosen cos they were cheap and I've had not problems clipping in or out and they're fine for walking in.
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:46 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Yup Christophe, the clipping in especially will be a bit of a pain at junctions, it's one reason why I currently have toe clips, and one reason I was looking at the egg beaters... ( though it seems the 4-sidedness is a bit countered by the small target... ).

bleh, still not decided... but I'll prob. order the shoes first, then worry about the peddles if the shoes are OK.

Sol, 20 for SPD peddles and cleats is kinda hard to beat for value for money, but I don't mind spending a little more for something that'd suit me better ( 'tis frugal times... )

Steev, hmmm, how much do you want for them? ( and what colour? Embarassed ), if it's actually viable to peddle them across junctions without clipping in, then they're quite high on my list... but as they're unused, I guess it's hard for you to comment on that!
Mikey-two-Names
LSST Coach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Toe clips are quite probably much harder to get into and out of than clipless pedals.

Nice riding with you tonight, Barrie, btw!!! I guess you would have been amused at my complete lack of clipping in or out at the traffic lights.
sol
Child Protection Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I went out on my Giant the other day, with toe clips. They are so dangerous! Never again. Will put flat pedals on the Giant I think.
The Speedplays are SO easy! You don't have to look down to find them at lights, just put your shoe on them and they'll self-locate. Fab! Only thing you can't do in them is pull up and out in panic, unlike SPDs. Believe me' I've tried, and failed Wink
matty
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:04 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Mikey-two-Names wrote:
Toe clips are quite probably much harder to get into and out of than clipless pedals.

Nice riding with you tonight, Barrie, btw!!! I guess you would have been amused at my complete lack of clipping in or out at the traffic lights.

you're the only cyclist i know that'll wear out their gloves on the floor, from stopping at junctions... funny ... Laughing

Nice to know I've got a speedplay buddy Sol... I think Diego is another..
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:14 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Mikey-two-Names wrote:
I doubt that to be honest, assuming that they're not pulled tight as you would if racing, but that's not the point really... it's trivial to pull away on the flat side, and then clip in after, say, a few gear changes, when you've got some momentum.  I'm often stuck behind someone fumbling away with SPDs or similar...

On one hand I want to avoid that fumbling, on the other hand, maybe it's easier to just fumble with them Laughing

Quote:
Nice riding with you tonight, Barrie, btw!!!
OMG. I'm, so not used to riding with anyone else, it took way too much of my concentration!

Quote:
I guess you would have been amused at my complete lack of clipping in or out at the traffic lights.
It was noticed... not unlike Diego's comment, I was wondering if you use snowboarding gloves Smile
diego

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

matty wrote:

yup, can't beat 'em! Wink

all Sol said I agree on.
only thing which kinda disappoints me is the retention spring tension cannot be adjusted and I'd like it a bit stiffer... (my shoes unclip soo easily at times... must say this saved me from being stuck to the pedals in a fall once, though)
dan_b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:26 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
it's trivial to pull away on the flat side, and then clip in after, say, a few gear changes, when you've got some momentum. I'm often stuck behind someone fumbling away with SPDs or similar...

I find it no problem pedalling a few strokes on SPDs (I think mine are M520s same as everyone else) without actually being clipped in.  MTB-style shoes with recessed cleats.

Look Delta pedals in traffic - that's another game entirely.  The pedal is single-sided, the back is smooth and rounded, and the plastic cleat is slippery.

As with any of the man/machine interface points, YMMV
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:46 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

diego wrote:
matty wrote:

yup, can't beat 'em! Wink

all Sol said I agree on.
only thing which kinda disappoints me is the retention spring tension cannot be adjusted and I'd like it a bit stiffer... (my shoes unclip soo easily at times... must say this saved me from being stuck to the pedals in a fall once, though)

Don't you have 'proper' speedplays, not Frogs? I thought they were uber-adjustable. Yer doin it wrong!

Aaaaanyway just to add some controversy to the thread I was told by the bike whisperer that the *only* reasons you'd want Speedplays (and bearing in mind he uses them) are

a) your knees are fubar
b) you think there's some value in having a very shallow pedal

Admittedly they do look pretty though Smile

I'm with Dan on the frustrations of the pure road style pedal - they are HORRID in traffic. Horrid horrid horrid. I think I'm going to be standard SPDs back on my road bike next summer.
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
Mikey-two-Names wrote:
I doubt that to be honest, assuming that they're not pulled tight as you would if racing, but that's not the point really... it's trivial to pull away on the flat side, and then clip in after, say, a few gear changes, when you've got some momentum.

I was under the impression that doing this was frowned upon. Don't the clips scrape along the ground?
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:44 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... but only if either the bike and/or the road is at a sufficient angle, but I wouldn't do it if I wanted to look after the clips.

E.g. it just about scrapes if I'm pulling away and turning left, but normally it's also quite easy to do so without scraping them ( less bike lean ).

I guess it was more of an issue in days of yore when bottom brackets were a bit lower... and perhaps ye olde metal toe clips might not have taken the beating as well as new fangled plastic ones.

As it happens, I've never liked these toe clips anyway, so have a perverse vested interest in trying/failing to kill them. In the end there is much less wear than I'd expected/hoped for after something like 2000miles.
BigSteev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:

Steev, hmmm, how much do you want for them? ( and what colour? Embarassed ), if it's actually viable to peddle them across junctions without clipping in, then they're quite high on my list... but as they're unused, I guess it's hard for you to comment on that!

Just found them. They're Candy C's in Dark Grey. 25? Sizewise they're about the same as my Shimanos so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pedal them without being clipped in, but the whole clipping in thing becomes a bit like changing gear in a car as in you don't really look at them, it just happens. Many times now when I pull away from lights I find my foot has clipped in even before it's first downstroke.

@Diego. Not sure if you can get them separately (try Speedplay directly) but they do a track model which has a stronger spring.
Mikey-two-Names
LSST Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:23 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
Mikey-two-Names wrote:
I doubt that to be honest, assuming that they're not pulled tight as you would if racing, but that's not the point really... it's trivial to pull away on the flat side, and then clip in after, say, a few gear changes, when you've got some momentum. I'm often stuck behind someone fumbling away with SPDs or similar...

Which of us have used both?  Wink

As others have said, you can pedal away with one foot not clipped in with either system.  SPDs are so easy to get in though, that rarely ever happens, even on my fixed where I have to match my foot to the unstoppably moving pedal.
diego

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:30 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Howard wrote:

Don't you have 'proper' speedplays, not Frogs? I thought they were uber-adjustable. Yer doin it wrong!

Aaaaanyway just to add some controversy to the thread I was told by the bike whisperer that the *only* reasons you'd want Speedplays (and bearing in mind he uses them) are

a) your knees are fubar
b) you think there's some value in having a very shallow pedal

Admittedly they do look pretty though Smile

I'm with Dan on the frustrations of the pure road style pedal - they are HORRID in traffic. Horrid horrid horrid. I think I'm going to be standard SPDs back on my road bike next summer.

Yes, I have the Zeros, but spring stiffness is not adjustable (I might be doing it wrong, but I've gone through the whole manual this time and found nothing about it).

In fact, as BigSteev mentions, there's a "track" version of the Zeros which comes with a stiffer mechanism.

It's not usually a big deal, though, just annoying at times... (way less annoying than other "features" of single-sided pedals like Look and road Shimanos).

BTW, I don't agree on your comment about "the pure road style pedal", as I believe Speedplay Zeros are "pure road style" (well, at least people like Cancellara and the Shleck bros. think they are Wink ) and they're just great in traffic, not unlike the MTB SPD pedals.

Now, if we want to talk about walking around in shoes with Speedplay cleats attached, that's a completely different thing... (plus, there are other disadvantages, but I'm still happier with them than with any other road pedal/cleat system)

I don't underestimate the convenience of using MTB shoes + SPD pedals (in fact, I thought about going down that way many times), but having used road shoes for years now I just prefer to stick to them...

And one reason I'd add to the ones from the bike whisperer to choose Speedplay is: "you want a double sided pedal for added clipping ease in traffic with plenty of floating and (according to Speedplay's website) a bigger contact surface than Look/Shimano road pedals"

BigSteev wrote:
@Diego. Not sure if you can get them separately (try Speedplay directly) but they do a track model which has a stronger spring.

Thanks BigSteev, I was aware of the Track version.
Only thing is, I am not sure I want to spend money to try them out and find out later that I'm still happier with the normal version. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Goto page Shoes and Pedals? - Previous  Shoes and Pedals? - 1, 2, Shoes and Pedals? - 3  Shoes and Pedals? - Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: