LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shop shop shoppy time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Van

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:16 pm    Subject: Shop shop shoppy time Reply with quote

OK, it looks like I can justify splashing out on a new bike. Does anyone have an opinion on BMC bikes?

This is looking like an really good bargain:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/streetracer-sr01-2011-road-bike-ec024691

(Note that I am taking advantage of C2W so it has to be Evans and <1k.)
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

As a brand, BMC are pretty good though I don't believe have been around (at least commercially) for as long as the likes of Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.

The specs on the bike look pretty decent, and as always, the wheels might be the only thing to change in the future.

Have you read Howard's post here?

Definitelty try different bikes to see what geometry / shifters etc suit you, and definitely no harm including the above on your list.
Van

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ed! wrote:
As a brand, BMC are pretty good though I don't believe have been around (at least commercially) for as long as the likes of Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.

The specs on the bike look pretty decent, and as always, the wheels might be the only thing to change in the future.

Have you read Howard's post here?

Definitelty try different bikes to see what geometry / shifters etc suit you, and definitely no harm including the above on your list.

Cheers. Yup, I've read through all of the previous similar threads.

TBH I just want an out-of-the-box package and not really interested in replacing any parts.

Here is a stupid question: on a Shimano (or any other) road bike gruppo, how do you know which gear you are in?  On my current hybrid I have 7 gears in total, and there is a needle which points to which gear I'm currently in. Call me silly, but I like this... I like the visual reassurance every time I glance towards my handlebars.
chrish0rn
LSST Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

BMC bikes are sexy.

I can usually tell what gear I am in, by how hard it is to pedal...... Don't think I've ever looked at that needle indicator thingy.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough - can't see a fault with the one you've chosen.

As for your other question..you'll soon join us "elite" cyclists ( Cool ) where, as Chris implies, it becomes instinctive to know which gear you're in, or perhaps moreso what gear you need to change to.

Provided you've only got two rings at the front (i.e. compact / double), you'll know which one you're in; for the ones at the back, you just flick up and down to whatever is comfortable.

Typically you should be "comfortable" is a gear where you can maintain a good cadence (ranges between 80-100+ rpm) without straining your knees, so you just flick through your gears (mainly the rear one) until you find that sweet spot.
Van

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:19 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ed! wrote:

As for your other question..you'll soon join us "elite" cyclists ( Cool ) where, as Chris implies, it becomes instinctive to know which gear you're in, or perhaps moreso what gear you need to change to.

Provided you've only got two rings at the front (i.e. compact / double), you'll know which one you're in; for the ones at the back, you just flick up and down to whatever is comfortable.

Typically you should be "comfortable" is a gear where you can maintain a good cadence (ranges between 80-100+ rpm) without straining your knees, so you just flick through your gears (mainly the rear one) until you find that sweet spot.

So I should use the Force...  Cool
Howard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:19 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SRAM Force, obviously.
Howard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:30 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

On the BMC - yes, that's a good price for an Ultegra equipped road bike. Wheels are shite but hey ho at that price who cares.

I tested a streetracer years ago - it was very stiff, uncompromising. They are meant to be like that, and some people like that, but it might not be for you. Try and ride a couple of other bikes if you can just to get a feel for other frames. Try a carbon frame too.
Van

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:37 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
On the BMC - yes, that's a good price for an Ultegra equipped road bike. Wheels are shite but hey ho at that price who cares.

I tested a streetracer years ago - it was very stiff, uncompromising. They are meant to be like that, and some people like that, but it might not be for you. Try and ride a couple of other bikes if you can just to get a feel for other frames. Try a carbon frame too.

What does that imply in terms of its handling characteristics, and what are the pros/cons of such a setup?

cheers, V
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Van wrote:
Howard wrote:

What does that imply in terms of its handling characteristics, and what are the pros/cons of such a setup?

cheers, V

In terms of handling - it's aggressive and stiff - not a bike for all day in the saddle rides unless you have to spend all day in the saddle going stupid fast. That's not to say it couldn't be made comfortable for all day rides, just that it will be somewhat more difficult to do so than say a more compromising bike that leans towards grand tours rather than sub four hour crit racing / triathlons / tts etc.

But if you wanted to do crits or short, snappy hell for leather rides then you could do a lot worse.

Pros: super efficient
Cons: a bit too efficient at transferring road buz and impacts directly into your butt.
Van

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

The Good News... my C2W voucher has arrived!

The Bad News... that particular deal with the Ultegra equipped BMC looks like its sold out Sad

Here is a similar bike:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/roadracer-sl02-2011-road-bike-ec024690

It replaces the alu frame for a carbon frame, but loses the Ultegra for a 105 gruppo. I'd need to pay 200 upfront above my C2W voucher, too.

Hmm...

I will pay Evans a visit this evening and see what I can line up to test ride.
BigSteev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Do it. 105 is fine.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

What Steev said! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: