LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on Frames
Goto page Thoughts on Frames - Previous  Thoughts on Frames - 1, 2, Thoughts on Frames - 3  Thoughts on Frames - Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Natasha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Moved to General.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:47 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a 5x90 for 1 year. I am 187cm x 95kg and, while I am not a superskater by any standard, I will tell you this:

- the height of the skater is only a minor concern and it is more your skating style that matters. That being said, however, I would not recommend a 5x90 to a skater who is 170cm or shorter.

- the 5x90 flies if you get going, but it is like pushing a long gear on a bycicle and if you get caught uphill or with a strong headwind, you will suffer. The past Summer on the Serpentine road early in the morning
I was having fun dodging the geese and pushing a good 40kmh. Reaching
that speed was not easy, but once up there it was easy to maintain, that is unless the wind changes and you get it in your face. Then it reminded me of my days on a bycicle while trying to climb a decent hill on a gear suitable for a flat road.

- as long as we do not get to see marathons run as time trials, in my opinion, comparison of times among 4x100, 5x90, 5x84 and all the hi-lo combination a human being has ever conceived, are of very limited use.

Because of time limitations and lack of a car I trained exclusively in Hyde Park. I go out at 5:30am and circle on the Serpentine Road, North Carriage Road, West Carriage Road.  4x100 or 5x90, the North Carriage Road is the worst stretch of road I have ever experienced and, more than once, one wheel came loose and in one occasion, I saw said wheel passing me.  So, do not expect 5x90 to make your ride smooth on the bloodiest gatorback roads you can find. Still there is no general agreement out there on whether a ride is smoother on a 4x100 or a 5x90.
Anne-Jelmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed quite happy with the Raps Eracer. But I had a set out of the first production batch which had a production flaw. Poor extrusion in combination with a wrong milling machine setting. So I ended up with a crack forming in the rear deck.
The frames were replaced without a problem for a flawless pair.

You can recognize these first batch frames because the front deck is less then 2.5mm thick.

I have no experience riding anything other then 5x90. But from what I see around me. It looks like the 4x100 riders have more manoeuvrability then 5x90.

I also don't think that it is necessary to be tall to ride a 5x90. But I do thing you will need a certain amount of strength to push the skate to the side.
Simply because they don't steer that easy

Last edited by Anne-Jelmer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree. Definitely one can sense that 5x90 have a tendency to go straight more than any other frame out there. I noticed that doing my slalom drills on the stretch of road in front the Royal Albert Hall..
fzurro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:43 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Mr. T wrote:
Yes I agree. Definitely one can sense that 5x90 have a tendency to go straight more than any other frame out there. I noticed that doing my slalom drills on the stretch of road in front the Royal Albert Hall..

Hehe Smile

I want them for speed skating so I don't really mind about that.

Thanks for the Thumbs up guys. Going to get the frame but want to see what I can do with the boot first. STill have loads of problems
Mikey-two-Names
LSST Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:35 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Well, best of luck, I hope they work well for you.  I still think that they are the wrong frames, and are too big for you.
fzurro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:49 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ls_mike wrote:
Well, best of luck, I hope they work well for you.  I still think that they are the wrong frames, and are too big for you.

What will u recommend me ? Not heard any recomendation from u Wink
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:16 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I will let Mike make his recommendation. If you ask me, though, I think you should get on a custom made 5x110 and you will look as if you are driving a Caterpillar among all those skaters on their little smarts-like skates on the Serpentine Road.

You may never be the best skater out there on those 5x110 things, but you are going to be noticed! Oh yes!  Wink And we live in a day and age where image is everything. Go for it!  Cool
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:22 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

You may jest but 5 * 99 is a possibility at the moment. It's within the rules (just)

Have you seen some of the experimental frames on the Bont site? Click on the right of the two drop down boxes at the top and select Innovative Concepts for a look at 6 and 7 wheel frames.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:30 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I see they also have a design similar to the Landroller - I looked on the website a couple of weeks ago and noticed even Sebastian had a go on them!

(prob old news, but I thought I'd mention it anyway)
Mikey-two-Names
LSST Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:12 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I think 4x100 is probably a fairly safe bet for most reasonably strong skaters for marathon distance.  Perhaps less than this, such as 4x90 or 5x84, for some smaller women and less powerful skaters.  At least that's the credible (to me) advice I recall seeing.

[Edit] Forgot to add that I'm no frame expert mind, I'm going on the opinions of people I respect and think have appropriate experience.

Last edited by Mikey-two-Names on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:14 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

fzurro wrote:
Any thoughts on RAPS 5x90 ?

I used  Raps 5x90 at the last Goodwood - it felt good, stable and fast but after 13 miles I had an unfortunate incident - the rear mounting cracked and broke:cry:   Raps promptly replaced the broken frame with a new one - but I've never mounted it on my boot - I'm now using 4x100 Diabolik frames - totally brilliant.

But I have got a totally unused Raps 5x90 to dispose of.  All bids considered. Laughing
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:24 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

That's the same problem ath A-J mentioned. I saw your frame at Goodwood. Was a bit of a mess. Always someone has somehting happen with a frame there. Gav stopped to do his up last year. A couple of years ago I remember meeting Duracell on the track and he asked me if I had an allen key on me. His frame was hanging off.

Everyone remember to do your gear up this time.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:39 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

desco wrote:
But I have got a totally unused Raps 5x90 to dispose of.  All bids considered. Laughing

The spendthrift in me says that I could be tempted Smile

Possibly mount them on my aggressive boots, should I be able to find a suitable means to do so, and eventually plop them on my speed boots once my feet can handle them!

I assume you're in no rush to sell them?  In either case, what is deemed a reasonable amount for them?
Mr. T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:45 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
You may jest but 5 * 99 is a possibility at the moment. It's within the rules (just)

Have you seen some of the experimental frames on the Bont site? Click on the right of the two drop down boxes at the top and select Innovative Concepts for a look at 6 and 7 wheel frames.

Be all you can be! Cheat! 5x110!
I know about the rules: no more than 500mm long skates (frames + wheels), no more than 6 wheels, no more than 100mm wheels (at least for FIRS). I wrote a very colourful letter to Mr. Marrotta last year when FIRS passed the 100mm rule. ...

Yes, I have seen the frames on the Bont site. However, I do not believe that they will bring them to life. The 6 wheel frames were already available several years ago and where quickly abandoned. In addition, I have a personal issue: rather than go back to small wheels I will quit skating. Maybe there is a lot of hype regarding frames out there in these days, but I never heard anybody complaining that big wheels make things worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Thoughts on Frames - Previous  Thoughts on Frames - 1, 2, Thoughts on Frames - 3  Thoughts on Frames - Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: