LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyres...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:22 pm    Subject: Tyres... Reply with quote

OK, so after a lil' mishap I need some new bike tyres...

Old ones were 700 x 28 on 16.3mm inside diameter wheels.

I'm tempted to go 25mm, but could be persuaded down to 23mm ( deciding factor could be availability at my local Evans... ).

Any deciding factors between the Bontrager Hardcase and Continental Gatorskins? ( apart from them maybe having the Bontragers in Black/Blue Embarassed )

Or is it worth going further for something else... ( Schwalbe Marathons look too heavy, and while I'd like some puncture resistance, I don't need them to be invincible ).

I can't find a weight for the Specialized Armadillos... which make me suspicious, though I guess they're probably OK...
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:26 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I have Conti gatorskins.  I got three punctures within my first month of using them, but since then, nothing (except for today on my way I home, now that I've tempted fate!)

Armadillos is another brand I've heard thrown around that's meant to be pretty good.

If you're doing your cycling at Richmond park, maybe you do need them to be invincible!
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

ed! wrote:
If you're doing your cycling at Richmond park, maybe you do need them to be invincible!
Wellll... yeah that might well be worse than most of my commute for debris...

but still, I can walk home from RP if needed...
dan_b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

I found Gatorskins to be deeply unpleasant in the wet, but I've heard just the opposite from other people, which just goes to show what personal anecdote is worth in this field.  My favourite general-purpose tyre is the Michelin Krylion, but they seem hard to find recently
BigSteev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Gatorskins either. Used to like Michelin Pro 3s (very grippy in the wet) but had an issue with getting punctures via the sidewall. Now I'm running Vittorias (Corse-evos & Paves) on my bikes. Happy with them but not cheap.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Gatorskins are terrifying if you hit wet metalwork but I've never had a puncture with them.  I just try not to ride in the wet Smile
Barrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Given I can't avoid all the wetness, it sounds like Gatroskisn are good to avoid then!  Thanks!
Xia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 am    Subject: Reply with quote

my experience (~600 miles on each tire):
- Gatorskin, prone to puncture. Never really liked it.
- Armadillo, the best puncture proof, hard wearing perfect for commuting, didn't feel as fast as the next one:
- Michelin pro3, fast tire, grippy in wet less on ice Smile, fast wearing due to weak sidewalls average puncture resistance, hard as hell to put on my rims.
- Currently running Vredestein, but too early for opinion.

To be complete, on the MTB:
- Schwalbe Marathon winter, good puncture resistance, good on ice and packed snow, average on deep powdery snow.
MatthewB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Hey Barrie...I looked into the tyre question a few months back and, having trawled through the forums, it seems that there is no consensus at all and one person's recommended tyre is another's 'avoid at all costs'...the one tyre that seemed to garner generally favorable reviews is the Rubino Pro, which I put on my bike and which I've been happy with thus far (a good few hundred miles)...as luck would have it, Wiggle has the 25s on sale at the moment, which makes them a relatively low cost option too
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:32 am    Subject: Reply with quote

I had to get them yesterday for today, so couldn't wait for mail order...  I went for the Bontrager Hardcases ( with "triple puncture protection" - I presume that means 3 layers of protection, rather than it goes flat on the 4th puncture Razz ).

I went for them because, after the comments here about wet weather use, I noticed that it was quite a common comment for both the Armadillos and Gatorskins, but not for these...  and they're cheaper too at 19.99 ( at Evans ).

700x23 - They did actually have two 700x25, but at some point I'm bound to cycle with some of you, and every little helps Razz

OK to fit.  120PSI, seemed OK on the way in to work this morning, not as much vibration as I was expecting, compared to the 700x28 Maxxis Detonators which I ran at around 100PSI that came with the bike, a bit less "feel"  but not a problem ( and maybe they'll improve as they scrub in?  Quite a big seam on them at the moment... ).  Feel a bit heavier, and less, er, pnuematic ( can you have degrees of pnuematicness? Smile ).

They didn't feel any faster than the previous tyres, which seemed to be verified by the speed on my cycle computer vs my effort - but then again, I got to work in 26mins-something again, with heavy feeling legs, when recently I've been struggling ( i.e. failing ) to beat 28mins.  Maybe traffic and wind, maybe tyres, not sure.
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party, but aren't 700*23 a little too narrow for your rims?

Did you have to buy new inner tubes for them?
Barrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:13 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty much the limit for the rims, seems alright to me though.... now you're gonna get me worried  Razz

The inner tubes were fine, just needed a normal patch ( so far so good... ), and rated 20 to 28 so fine for the skinnier tyres too :-
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/inner-tube-ec001873
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Barrie wrote:
It is pretty much the limit for the rims, seems alright to me though.... now you're gonna get me worried Razz

The inner tubes were fine, just needed a normal patch ( so far so good... ), and rated 20 to 28 so fine for the skinnier tyres too :-
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/inner-tube-ec001873

Cool. I'm running 700*25 Gatorskins on 17mm rims which are just about the limit. The ride is definitely quicker than the 700*32s originally shipped with the bike, and a bit quicker than the 700*30 Schwalbe CX tyres I had fitted for some off-road shinanegins...but not *that* much quicker, so I'm thinking of going back to the 700*30s.
BigSteev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:18 am    Subject: Reply with quote

An update on my Vittorias. - They don't like skidding much  Embarassed

Avoidance of a unwanted pedestrian/bike interaction means I've seen fit to order a replacement.
Xia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 am    Subject: Reply with quote

update on Vredestein fortezza tricomp 700/23
600 miles, no puncture (yet removed a few glass shards from the tire) and still strongly going with small wear.

Really happy and impressed with that tire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> Bicycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: