LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to buy speed skates these days?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General
Previous topic :: Next topic  
bill_y

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Subject: Where to buy speed skates these days? Reply with quote

Coming back to skating after some years lay-off (6+), I find that my speed skates are outdated - e.g. Mogema 5x80 frames bought on holiday in the Netherlands about 2000. Where do UK skaters buy these 4x100/110 frames and boots with mounting pitch to suit? Googling UK suppliers hasn't turned up much. Should I be looking for European suppliers who will ship to UK? If so, who and where? Suggestions gratefully received.
EdP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you're thinking of getting back into the game.

You've probably got three main options in terms of buying skates:

Club Blue Room is the biggest skate shop in London and sells a good range of Rollerblade and Powerslide speed skates. http://www.clubblueroom.com/

Alternatively, Bont are one of the better manufacturers and they have a sizing wizard which suggests a boot size (to the nearest half) & width based on your foot measurements to the nearest millimetre. Their boots are designed to be put into the oven and heat moulded once they arrive (they get much softer than other brands) - so between that and the sizing wizard, you tend to get good results. I've used this in the past and it has worked well.

They're also quite cheap when bought direct from the manufacturer.

http://bont.com/inline/items/support/sizes_inline.html

Lastly, how far apart are the mounting blocks on your current boots? If they're the more modern 195mm (as opposed to 165mm) you could just buy a new frame and bolt it on. CadoMotus (whose' lead designer would have designed your Mogema frames) make some quite reasonably priced ones.

http://www.cadomotus.com/inline-speedskating/inline-frames.html
bill_y

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that info. I hadn't heard of Club Blue Room, though there appears to be a problem with their website at the moment.
At this stage I'm not thinking of getting moulded boots from Australia. Something "off the shelf" will probably do to be getting on with. My old boots are 165mm pitch, so an upgrade seems indicated.
Meanwhile I have found three European sites which appear to be worth a look - probably already known to LSST members:
www.der-rollenshop.de
www.skate-dump.nl
www.wheel7.it
EdP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Blue Room is definitely still open- their website just seems to be having a malfunction of sorts.

The Bonts are off the shelf boots - they're just designed to (optionally) be put in your oven, worn and cooled once you've bought them to ensure a better fit. It's not as good as a custom (which they also do) - but it's a useful feature if you're buying blind.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

If your boots still fit and are comfy then there are some frame options for larger wheels that will fit 165 mounting. They won't be quite as low down as a 195 or 3-point mounting but a number of people get on with them quite well. Also may be worth doing a bit of practice on the 5*80s to make sure you have some ankle strength as bigger wheels are going to put a lot more strain there.
ed!
LSST Committee Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

EdP wrote:
Blue Room is definitely still open- their website just seems to be having a malfunction of sorts.

The current unfortunate thing about Club Blue Room is that their current website doesn't showcase what they have in store.  That is about to change as they will be launching a new website soon.
Usually I'd recommend to go visit the store, but given where you are, that'll be a bit of effort!  Do bear in mind that between manufacturers, the boots do fit differently - what works for some won't work for others.  So ideally you want to be able to try stuff on, or at the very least, be able to return things.

I'm familiar with www.der-rollenshop.de, and the club has an affiliation with http://www.custom-sport.de .

I've not heard or used the others that were mentioned.
bill_y

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:30 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification about Bont; I had them pegged as a custom-only maker. Very interesting about the large wheel 165mm frames. This looks like the least-cost option into large wheels, and that German shop has a number of them.
And excellent advice about putting in time on the 5x80s and low boots, which I intend to do when things dry out a bit.
bill_y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

A wee update on what I've done. I decided my existing boots would do at present, and that I didn't want to make too big a jump in wheel size, so I've bought stuff from two of the suppliers mentioned earlier in the thread. A Powerslide Venom 3x100/1x90 frame, with 165 and 195 mounting options (possibility of new boots sometime in the future). This from Der-rollenshop.de. Looks like it was the last one in stock. And wheels and bearings from
Skate-dump.nl. The service from the latter deserves special mention - ordered online 11am Monday, email notification of shipment at 4pm Monday, delivery at noon Wednesday, shipping cost 4.95 Euros! They're stocking some end-of-range and odd sizes, but if they have something you're looking for, worth giving them a go.
greazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Hi bill_y,

Good choice to get back into skating using your old boots, also your choice for a 3x100/1x90 setup is spot on IMO. You can always buy some new stuff when you feel you are ready for it.

I bought a lot of stuff from Skate-dump.nl over the years b.t.w., always very fast (and free in NL/cheap for EU&UK) delivery and good service when needed.

Just curious, what brand and type of wheels did you get for your new Powerslide frames?

Cheers,
Andy.
bill_y

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm being unduly cautious, but I decided to run the hi-lo frames at 3x90/1x80 for a while. I have plenty of 80mm wheels (mostly Hyper) so bought some Powerslide Infinity 90mm to be going on with. I've no idea what they're like, but they seem to be sold as cheapish training wheels, which is OK just now.
greazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Those will do for the time being, not when you actually want to go to speed on 3x100/1x90.
Maybe consider some Matter or Roll'X wheels from the same shop when you get to that point, I think that won't take long if you are getting hooked on (speed)skating again!  Very Happy
bill_y

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am    Subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greazer. I'll bear those recommendations in mind for the future.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: