LondonSkaters Speed Team - Speed Skating & Rollerblading Club in London

LondonSkaters Speed Team
Sponsor - One Body Clinic
   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me to buy some skates! (please)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General
Previous topic :: Next topic  
mt96

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:25 pm    Subject: Help me to buy some skates! (please) Reply with quote

Hi,

I've skated my whole life and play ice hockey and I'm looking to get into speed skating.

Can I have your recommendations on everything (boot, frames, wheels)? I'm looking to spend around 350 (~$500) but I can swing a bit either way if need be

I'll be honest, I'm pretty big on looks and from some browsing these[/http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/fitnessbuilder2.html?pcode=15BLZBO] look beautiful, are they good?

I don't know if I'm being foolish here but I don't really want a pair aimed at beginner speed skaters, I'm a strong skater (fastest on the hockey team) and I don't want to drop 350 quid now only to want to upgrade in a year or so.

Thanks a lot![/url]
Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, never buy speed skates online unless it is a repeat order for some you already have. You might get lucky but if not then they don't just become comfy like breaking in a pair of shoes, they are made of carbon fibre and have limited ability to adapt to your feet so if there are gaps anywhere they will not become tighter and will destroy your feet. Something soft enough to be comfortable from the off won't be stiff enough to hold the edge on the size of wheels used in speed skating.

It is best (almost essential) that you are able to try them on before you buy them to feel the fit so make sure they are tight and don't have any movement. Mouldable skates aren't going to magically match your feet when you put them in the oven then wear them either they won't essentially change their width or length. If you are not able to due to location, then you are going to have to travel to some place you can try plenty of pairs on from different manufacturers to see which manufacturer shapes boots out of the factory which best matched your foot and ankle shape. No idea where you might be, but good places are things like the Berlin marathon expo where there is a skaters village where you could try lots of things.

If you can't travel then then Bont site has some good sizing guides where you can trace your feet and measure them then match them to their table so at least you will be able to get some of the dimensions right. They are modable which helps the break in process and maleable with some tools but they might be too wide or too narrow.

Once you get some if you've only been using hockey skates start with some smaller wheels in the frames to get yourself used to them hockey skates have a similar level of lateral support but 72-72-80-80 doesn't put the amount of leverage on your ankle as 4*110 or 3*125 so using 90s or even 80s while you get used to the skates will help the break in process.

Good luck.
Fred_Paris
LSST Chairman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Subject: Reply with quote

What size are you looking for regarding your skates, we could get the Luigino skates for you shipped over as we have a standing order with EO Skates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LondonSkaters Speed Team Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: